Monday, October 18, 2021

In Memory of Colin Powell

I always thought that if Colin Powell ran for President of the United States, I would probably vote for him. To be honest, I don't know why. I didn't always agree with him on the issues, and ideologically I'm not sure that we were totally in sync. I simply admired the man. He was candid; he seemed honest and decent. I liked his moderate demeanor and his attitude towards partisan politics. 

Following the death of George Washington in 1799, Congress commissioned Congressman and Major General Henry Lee to write the eulogy of our first President. Lee wrote of Washington:

"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen, he was second to none in the humble and endearing scenes of private life: Pious, just, humane, temperate, and sincere; uniform, dignified, and commanding, his example was as edifying to all around him as were the effects of that example lasting." 

Reading those immortal words, I can't help but think of Secretary of State Colin Powell. Perhaps that's why I admired him as I did. Perhaps Secretary Powell was a modern-day George Washington and we just didn't realize it.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment